We all want to protect our loved ones and feel secure in our homes. As a homeowner, taking the time to employ safety measures is vital.
FIRE SAFETY & PREVENTION
We all realize what we need to do, but have we taken the necessary steps? Preparing your home for a fire emergency and establishing a family emergency plan is vital for the safety of your entire family. Walking your children through what to do to ensure everyone knows what to do in an emergency will build good habits and save lives. Along with these plans, take the following preventative measures in your home.
- Use surge protectors and don’t overload sockets.
- Keep fire extinguishers near the kitchen, test smoke detectors once a month, and replace batteries yearly.
- Install smoke/carbon monoxide detectors on each story of the home and outside of sleeping areas.
- Invest in fire escape ladders if you have a home with a second story and know how to use them.
You can take some actions to lessen your chances of having a home break-in.
- The most effective way to prevent a home burglary is to make it look like you’re at home. Landscape lights help illuminate dark access points around your home and are a great way to beautify your home and deliver extra security.
- Since most home invasions happen during the day, video doorbells are an inexpensive way to keep an eye on things.
- Be sure to make arrangements to have your lawn mowed, and newspapers picked up if you are away from home for an prolonged period of time.
- Secure all sliding glass doors with anti-burglary bars in addition to the standard lock.
- Whole-home alarm systems provide homeowners peace of mind whether they are home or away and are much more cost-effective than in the past.
The real estate professionals of Poole Realty understand what your loved ones mean to you, and we genuinely care about you and your safety. Our local family-owned business has served Live Oak and North Central Florida for over 35 years. We love to support our clients as they navigate their move, get acclimated, and settle into their new homes and communities. If you or your friends or family have any real estate needs or questions, please call us at (386) 362-4539.